Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Best of Times

Hi everyone!

I have been blessed enough to experience some of the best times of my life this summer in Haiti. Initially I had some reservations about coming here, but they all melted away before the end of my first week in this country. Yes, there are times when I miss home. Yes, I have gotten frustrated about toilets that don't flush, and taking three hours to travel 30 miles, and yes, there has been one time where I did not feel safe, but all in all, these nine weeks have been the best of times for me. I have learned so much about myself. I have grown in patience, discipline, empathy, and love for all of the new people that I have met. I will be on my way home in just two short weeks, and I honestly don't know what to think, or how to feel. 

One day last week, some of the interns were taking a taxi to the beach. We had agreed on a fair of 10 American dollars, but when we arrived at our destination, the driver demanded that we pay him 50 American dollars. Tammie began to discuss the price with the driver, and his helper, and another American who spoke Creole also jumped in to help negotiate.  Tammie offered to pay the driver, but he refused to take the money. I don't understand how the episode got so blown up, but before I knew what was going on, our truck was surrounded by quite a few angry Haitians who had sided with the driver. The group said a quick prayer, and before we could even finish praying Brian had payed the driver the 50 dollars, and we were leaving.

One of my favorite memories also happened on a Haitian taxi. We were heading to the same beach, and got a flat tire. We discussed leaving the taxi driver, and walking to the beach, but before we could talk it out the driver jumped out, whipped out a tire that looked worse than the now flat tire, and put it on the truck. He insisted that the tire was as good as new. We hesitantly got back in the truck, and hauled it to the beach.

I love this crazy, unexpected, ever changing life in a new culture. I want to see everyone back at home, but I just don't want to leave Haiti. Some days have been tough, and I'll be glad to tell everyone about them when I get home, but for now, just know that I have loved every day of these past nine weeks. If your a praying person, please pray for our safety, strength, and ability to stay focused these next two weeks. If not, just keep all of our team in your thoughts. I will see you in about two weeks!

Be strong and courageous,
Felicia

1 comment:

  1. We miss you Felicia. We do pray for your safety and look forward to your being back in Gainesville soon.

    ReplyDelete